Friday, July 16, 2010
Speaking of Serena Williams, she and the Party Watch made an appearance at her fave design house of the moment - BURBERRY - and their Beauty garden tea party in Beverly Hills yesterday. Here she is getting photographed and shrinking the label's creative head Christopher Bailey and actress Kate Bosworth.
The top lady baller has been sporting their duds frequently this month so I'm sure they were thrilled to have her at their event. But all this partying can't be great for an injured foot - or maybe she knows something we don't know.
More images of ReRe at the Burberry party after the cut.
UPDATE: ReRe will undergo foot surgery and, consequently, miss Istanbul, Cincinnati, and Montréal. You can see the bandaging on the top of her right foot near the ankle in these pictures and here. "I'm so upset I won't be able to play in the upcoming events because of this foot surgery," said the world's top lady baller. "Thank you for all of your support. I can't wait to get back on the courts." You see? I knew this was a dumb idea. Tsk, tsk.
Andrea Petkovic is fast becoming the WTA's most prolific video vixen, filling the void Serena Williams left since she made the decision to now TweetPhoto her life (and a couple of other notable things) away over making crazy ass vids.
In her latest entry, a newscaster, who has an eerie similarity to the German lady baller, offers her humorous report on the missing Petkorazzi. Seriously, can we take her personality juice and shoot up a few other ballers on both tours?
Oh yeah, check her out on Twitter @andreapetkovic. She's full on HILARITY.
BONUS: Here's Petko taking fans behind-the-scenes earlier this year at the Dubai baller party.
[Videos: Andrea Petkovic YouTube Channel]
Thursday, July 15, 2010
In my never ending quest to be an equal opportunity objectifier I bring you Brooklyn Decker from last night's ESPYS, wearing a pink paint-me-awn dress that showed off every curve she knew she had and some new ones for your viewing pleasure.
The tennis WAG was sans hubby, Andy Roddick, for the evening but friend and former baller Justin Gimelstob was on hand for the tough escorting duty and we all know how much Gimel loves sexy blondes:
Later in the evening Brook tweeted backstage that she "shaking" and "dabbing sweat" as she prepared to present the award for Best Play (won by QB Brett Favre + receiver Greg Lewis of the Minnesota Vikings.) Do you think it was because she was about to go onstage with her handsome, smoldering co-presenter Jon Hamm? I mean, if anyone could make you feel safe and secure it's got to be Don Draper:
Uh, on second thought...
More pictures of Brook after the cut.
John Isner was on hand last night at the 2010 ESPYS to receive one of the big awards - Best Record-Breaking Performance - for playing the longest match in tennis history a.k.a. ISNUT.
After realizing the on stage mic only reached his belly button he bent down and thanked his foe, Nicolas Mahut, who wasn't in attendance, his support team at Saddlebrook Academy and the voters. The pair beat out Roger Federer who was nominated in the same category for breaking Pete Sampras' all-time Grand Slam record at Wimbledon last season.
It would've been great to see both ballers there to accept the award. I wonder if Nic was asked to attend at all and, if so, declined the offer. He really deserves some of the accolades too.
In any case, a big congrats to ISNUT!
Other winners of the night included Serena Williams for Best Female Tennis Player and Kim Clijsters for Best Comeback.
[Photo(s): Getty Images]
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Here we go!
Next week the 2010 Olympus U.S. Open Series commences with the new ATP World Tour stop at the Atlanta Tennis Championships and ends with a bang at the the U.S. Open. And, the USTA has decided to continue the "It Must Be Love" marketing campaign from last year to promote the run up to the season's final major.
I know, I know. I'm still recovering from the long stretch that was Roland Garros + Wimbledon but the tennis won't wait for us. So put your big girl panties on (or big boy jock if you're into that kinda thing) and get ready.
As a bonus (and because the other embed codes were a total USTA fail), here's Chef Rafael Nadal talking pasta + gambas courtesy of someone smart enough to get it to YouTube. I know what you're thinking: He'd look better cooking in nothing but an apron, right? No gambas there. Huh-uh.
See the rest of the spots at USOpenSeries.com.
UPDATE: More of the promo vids have been uploaded to the U.S. Open YouTube channel...
- Novak Djokovic + Gael Monfils guest star in DJ Martin Solveig's new video for his single 'Hello' which was partly shot in Court Philippe Chatrier at Roland Garros. Fantastic Frenchie record producer and DJ Bob Sinclar also makes an appearance as Solveig's opponent.
- “Now I have to run around and be nice to everybody," said Marat Safin about his current role as a Russian tennis official. He also had some words for his sister, Dinara, who's been troubled by a herniated disc in her back. "I think she needs to rest six months and think about the future," SexGawd says of his sister. “Don’t play two weeks here and two weeks there and get [re-]injured.”
- Steve Tignor offer his thoughts on the Fedal dominance at the Slams and wonders aloud how many more each baller will win - and who will end up with the most when all is said and done.
- Enough with the injury talk and just play ball says Peter Bodo.
- Fierce Tennis gave me serious lulz with its fantastic take on Maria Sharapova's decision to play doubles with Yanina Wickmayer at the Bank of the West Classic at Stanford. Angry grrrls.
- With all the talk of Fernando Verdasco + Feliciano Lopez's boat and beach bromance, it's strange to see Nando going it alone. Trouble in paradise, perhaps? But no worries, his better half was 'uncovered' by the ATP though not in the way you would really like. Ah, well.
- Juan Martin del Potro purchased a road in his hometown of Tandil connecting two recently purchased lands, which caused a rift with some of the town's residents. The U.S. Open champ, who's at the Mayo Clinic getting a check up on his wrist, confirmed the news via Twitter but said the move will keep the tourists away from his home.
t-shirt to celebrate Spain's first EVAH World Cup win!
UPDATE - I thought this piece of news would be an interesting tidbit to pass along: Stanislas Wawrinka will now be coached by Peter Lundgren. His past pupils include, of course, Roger Federer and most recently Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov. His reason for taking on the veteran Swiss?
Tuesday, July 13, 2010
The Serena Party Watch was in full effect last night as the world's top lady baller hosted a pre-ESPY party in Bel Air, CA.
A Burberry-clad ReRe, which seems to be her fave design house ATM after she worked their dress at the Wimbledon ball earlier this month, was joined by sister Venus (who the WTA - yes that WTA - tweeted was Selita Ebanks) and a bevy of athletes, celebs, reality stars and musicians at the event.
She is nominated for the Best Female Athlete and Best Tennis Player Awards. The 2010 ESPYS will be televised live on ESPN this Wednesday, July 13 at 9PM EST.
More images from the event below!
UPDATE: So Venus Williams had a slight wardrobe malfunction. It's still not as bad (or good?) as ReRe's.
Monday, July 12, 2010
Can you guess the mystery baller who was spotted swimming + sunning near Corsica, France?! Seriously, if you get this wrong you'll need to turn in your tennis fan card.
Answer and additional pictures after the jump!
Here's video of Rafael Nadal, decked out in full-on fanboy entire including head wrap, being interviewed (in Spanish) after Spain won its first World Cup defeating the Netherlands 1-0 in extra time.
"I cried like a little boy," he said to Spanish paper Marca. "We have to celebrate for a whole year, because this is unbelievable. It is very difficult to repeat this.
"It will be crazy at home. Imagine, I was watching the semi-finals in Mallorca and I felt amazing. The whole country must be very proud of the team."
More celebratory interviews over at RafaelNadal.com!
UPDATE: Rafa holding the coveted World Cup trophy...