New York magazine, the magazine of news and cultural happenings for our beloved city, interviewed 6-time Grand Slam winner Venus "V" Williams and asked her to imagine how she would spend her Wimbledon (equal prize) winnings - $1.4 million dollars, that is. Here's some of what V said:
- Hire V Starr, her design company, to furnish the NYC apartment she shares with sister Serena (at a nice discount of course)
- Gibson J45 acoustic ($8,000 for a vintage 1955 model at Matt Umanov) & a purple Fender Stratocaster ($6,000 at Sam Ash) for herself
- A pink Fender Strat ($6,000 at Sam Ash) for Serena
- Custom king-size mattress ($10,400 at Duxiana), and sheets from Frette ($6,950 for a Helena Limited six-piece set)
- A Frette bathrobe ($550)
- 12 pairs of Giuseppe Zanotti strappy shoes embellished with big jeweled alligators, snakes or butterflies ($7,800 for twelve.)
- For mom, Oracene: A shopping spree at St. John or Escada ($50,000) and an Infinity QX56 ($57,960, fully equipped).
Not a bad list at all. But, tennis superstars V & Serena playing dueling guitars on the Eagles' "Hotel California"? Now that's something we'd pay to see.