- The dress is a sleek garment made of a breathable wicking jersey and constructed with a no-sew technique with seams bonded with heat and silicone instead of thread.
- There are more than 600 Swarovski crystals incorporated into the design.
- There also are three crystal buttons down the back, creating a keyhole effect.
- The dresses are decorated with graphic interpretations of the cityscape on the chest.
- The designs were created in collaboration with Nike senior designer Colleen Sandieson.
Here's some of what Maria "Shriek"apova had to say about the tennis dress and what inspired the design:
On the NYC-inspired color of the dress:
"I've worn a red top before but never a red dress, but there is no better place to do it than New York."
On her personal style:
"I don't like things with too much pattern ... things that are tacky."
On tennis gear as fashion:
"It's always important to feel comfortable in what you're wearing when you're playing, but in tennis, you can do so many things with your wardrobe."