Friday, July 27, 2007
+ FRIDAY NETCORDS: Roger vs. Pete, Maria vs. Rafa...Annie Leibovitz shoots the Grafassi's, 2008 Olympics and more
- Catching up with the Grafassi's: Here are some active retirees. Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf are keeping busy these days. The tennis power couple are planning to build a $600 million dollar Fairmont resort hotel in Idaho, equipped with a rock-climbing wall, a machine that simulates kayaking, and a bowling alley, too. As if that weren't enough to keep the mulitple Grand Slammers busy, their mugs will be featured in an upcoming advertising campaign for Parisian fashion label Louis Vuitton along with former Soviet Union president Mikhail S. Gorbachev and shot by famed photog Annie Leibovitz.
- Tennis Diary says "B" girls (that's B-level players) need love too and can play some A-level tennis...what says you?
- John McEnroe and Maria "Shriek"apova were on hand to close out the Newport Beach Breakers tournament. Wanna see them play some doubles? Click here.
- 2008 Olympics update: The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour has agreed to allow players to accrue ranking points at the Olympics, and the total number of participants from a single country has been raised from 4 to 6 (a country can nominate 4 singles players and a separate doubles team if they choose.)
- On a break during the Bank of the West Classic this week Daniela Hantuchova played tennis, both real and the Playstation variety, with race car driver Bruno Junqueira, who is in town to compete in Sunday's third annual San Jose Grand Prix. Was a love connection made?
- Tennis tips from mom: Tennis mom Judy Murray, momma of both Andy and Jamie, explains hardcourt tennis, from how the court effects the ball to winning strategies on this unforgiving surface
- This weekend catch the ending of the World Team Tennis season, featuring the championship match between the Sacramento Capitals against the Springfield Lasers, on RadioTennis.com
- Rafael Nadal vs. Maria "Shriek"apova? It could happen at the inaugural Merdeka Tennis Challenge at the Malawati Stadium in Shah Alam on Nov 18-25. Roger Federer and Pete Sampras are scheduled to play a match, with Rafa's opponent being either Maria or Marcos Baghdatis, both of whom are expected to play exhibition matches.
- Peter Bodo wants to know which men's players you think are "Hott". Submit your list, in order of hottness, now...
(image courtesy of victoriax21)